Massa makes 36 saves as Orlando takes 2-0 series lead
ESTERO, Fla. – Justin Buzzeo broke a 2-2 tie in the third period to give the Orlando Solar Bears a 3-2 win over the Florida Everblades in Game 2 of the South Division Semifinals to take a 2-0 series lead on Friday night at Germain Arena.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Ryan Moore (Joe Perry, Eric Faille), Eric Baier (Mason Marchment, Denver Manderson), Justin Buzzeo (Shane Conacher)
Goaltender: Ryan Massa: 36/38
Florida: Matt Berry (John McCarron, Logan Roe), Michael Kirkpatrick (Josh Wesley)
Goaltender: Alex Nedeljkovic: 19/22
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Ryan Moore opened the scoring at 3:45 of the first period as he grabbed hold of a rebound and zipped a shot into the top-right corner of the net past Alex Nedeljkovic. The goal was the 20-year-old’s first at the professional level after joining Orlando after completing his season with the Flint Firebirds of the Ontario Hockey League.
- Joe Perry and Eric Faille both assisted on Moore’s goal, giving each player a two-game assist streak dating back to Wednesday’s 4-2 victory in Game 1.
- Eric Baier broke a 1-1 tie at 15:50 of the second period as he joined the rush and snapped a feed from Mason Marchment inside the left post for his first of the 2017 postseason and the third playoff goal of his career.
- Marchment and Denver Manderson’s assists on Baier’s goal gave the pair a two-game assist streak.
- After Michael Kirkpatrick tied the score for Florida with a power-play goal early in the third period, the Everblades coughed the puck up at their blueline, allowing Shane Conacher to feed Justin Buzzeo for a clean break to the net, and the winger proceeded to deke out Nedeljkovich before burying his first of the postseason to pull Orlando ahead 3-2 at 11:30.
- Ryan Massa picked up his second consecutive playoff victory, making 36 saves to pick up Second Star honors.
- This is the first time since 2014 that Orlando has won consecutive road playoff games. The Solar Bears previously won Games 4 and 5 of their first-round matchup against the Cincinnati Cyclones in 2014.
- Orlando resumes its best-of-seven South Division Semifinals with Florida next Thursday as the series shifts back to Orlando for Game 3 on April 20 at 7 p.m. at the com Rink at Amway Center. Game 4 is Saturday, April 22 at 7 p.m. in Orlando.
THREE STARS1) Justin Buzzeo – ORL2) Ryan Massa – ORL3) Matt Berry – FLA
Tickets for Solar Bears home games for the 2017 Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by Coors Light, are on sale now and can be purchased via orlandosolarbearshockey.com, the Amway Center box office and Ticketmaster.
The Solar Bears mobile app, presented by BB&T, gives Solar Bears fans everything they need right in their pocket. The app is also home to the brand-new Loyalty & Rewards Program, which provides Solar Bears fans with opportunities to accumulate points and redeem them for exclusive prizes. The app is FREE and available for both iOS and Android devices.
The Orlando Solar Bears are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL’s Toronto Marlies, and play all of their home games at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Follow the Solar Bears at www.OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com, Facebook, and Twitter (@OrlandoHockey) for all the latest news and updates. Stay in touch with Shades on Instagram by following SolarBearsHockey.
Season tickets, Corporate Flex vouchers, and Group tickets are a great way to entertain employees, co-workers, clients, friends and family. For more information on all of the Solar Bears ticket packages, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com/groups.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased online at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.