Solar Bears Announce 2023 Protected List
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced its Protected List of players submitted to the ECHL. The team has included 27 players on its Protected List, which is comprised of 13 forwards, 11 defensemen and three goaltenders.
FORWARDS: Matthew Barnaby, Tyler Bird (V), Luke Boka, Nathan Burke (R), Joe Carroll, Eric Esposito (R), Alex Frye (R), Hunter Fejes* (V), Tristin Langan (V), Aaron Luchuk (QO), Branden Makara (R), Ross Olsson, Shawn Szydlowski (V)
DEFENSEMEN: Max Balinson, Michael Brodzinski (V), Jack Dougherty* (V), Chris Harpur, Kenny Johnson (R), Jimmy Mazza, Luke McInnis, Andrew McLean*, Jay Powell, Michael Renwick (R), Pavel Vorobei
GOALTENDERS: Drennen Atherton (R), Jimmy Poreda (R), Garret Sparks
Key: R = Rookie for 2023-24 season, V = Veteran for 2023-24 season, * = Placed on Team Suspension during 2022-23 season to maintain ECHL playing rights, QO = Qualifying Offer was made to player for 2022-23 season.
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
1. Signed an SPC in 2022-23 with the Member, and has not been traded or released, OR
2. Signed an SPC in 2022-23 and was recalled to the NHL/AHL or IIHF team, and has not been traded or released, OR
3. Had received a Qualifying Offer last summer for the current Season, DID NOT sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
4. Has been suspended by the Member or League, and has not been traded or released, OR
5. Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2022-23 Regular Season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
6. Has executed the ECHL Retirement Form and has not been traded or released.
Protected lists may exceed 20 players.
The ECHL also announced that teams must complete all Future Consideration trades by 3 p.m. ET on June 20 and that teams must submit their Season-Ending Roster by 3 p.m. ET on June 22.
Season-ending rosters may include up to 20 players and cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2022-23.
About the Orlando Solar Bears:The Orlando Solar Bears are the proud affiliate of the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning and members of the ECHL, the premier “AA” hockey league in North America. In 11 seasons of operation, the team has qualified for the Kelly Cup Playoffs five times. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.
Upcoming Home Games
Get Hockey Updates
Sign up for our email newsletter to be the first to know about news and upcoming games!