ORLANDO, Fla. – Jean Dupuy netted two goals for the Orlando Solar Bears (5-8-3-0), – including the game-winner in the third period to break a 2-2 tie – as the home team picked up a 3-2 victory over the South Carolina Stingrays (10-3-2-0) on Saturday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Max Novak (Marcus Basara, Nolan Valleau), Jean Dupuy (Jeff King, Kristian Pospisil), Dupuy (J.C. Campagna)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (23/25)
South Carolina: Tim McGauley (Patrick Gaul, Kelly Zajac), Joe Devin (Patrick Gaul, Danny Federico)
Goaltender: Jeff Jakaitis (24/27)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Max Novak opened the scoring for Orlando with his sixth of the season at 18:58, when he received a pass from Marcus Basara and snapped a shot at the left circle past Jeff Jakaitis.
- Marcus Basara earned his first professional point with the assist on Novak’s goal, as Basara had finished serving a penalty only moments prior to the Solar Bears taking the first lead of the night. Basara was also a team-high +2.
- Nolan Valleau received the secondary assist on Novak’s tally, making him the second Orlando skater after Joshua Winquist to record at least 10 assists this season.
- Jean Dupuy netted his third goal of the season at 4:16 of the second period after Jeff King set the forward up in the slot, allowing Dupuy to wrist a shot that beat Jakaitis low to the glove side. Dupuy tacked on his second of the game in the third period to break a 2-2 tie when he banged in J.C. Campagna’s rebound past a sprawled Jakaitis at 12:44.
- Jeff King earned his third assist of the season by feeding Dupuy.
- Kristian Pospisil made his return to the lineup for the first time since Oct. 22 after being activated from the injured reserve earlier in the day, helping set up Dupuy’s first goal with a strong backchecking effort – Pospisil has 3g-1a in four games this season.
- C. Campagna set up Dupuy’s game-winner for his fourth point (1g-3a) in four games since joining the team via trade last week.
- Cal Heeter earned his third consecutive win by making 23 saves on 25 shots against.
- Kyle Rankin, Nolan Valleau and Joshua Winquist led Orlando with four shots on goal.
- Winquist saw his franchise-record eight-game assist streak come to an end; the forward dished out 12 helpers between Nov. 7-22.
- The Solar Bears improved to 2-0-1-0 this week.
- Orlando has earned seven of a possible eight points over its last four games. The Solar Bears remain two points ahead of the Norfolk Admirals for fifth place in the South Division with three games in hand.
- The Solar Bears continue Geek Weekend when they host Star Wars Day against the South Carolina Stingrays at the comRink at Amway Center tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. – Sunday’s game is also a FAIRWINDS Solar Bears Sunday. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
THREE STARS1) Jean Dupuy – ORL2) Cal Heeter – ORL3) Mike Monfredo – ORL
The Orlando Solar Bears are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL’s Toronto Marlies, and play all of their home games at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Full Season Ticket Memberships for the 2017-18 season are on sale now. Purchase an Orlando Solar Bears Full Season Ticket Membership for as little as $440 today! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased online at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.