ORLANDO, Fla. – Despite establishing a 3-0 lead by the early stages of the second period thanks in part to Todd Skirving’s first two career pro goals, the Orlando Solar Bears (2-5-2-0) surrendered four straight to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (7-3-1-0) en route to a 4-3 overtime loss on Thursday at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
The Solar Bears earned the overtime point in their second annual School Day Game, as Orlando hosted a crowd of 6,395 that was largely comprised of Central Florida schoolchildren.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Todd Skirving , Nolan Valleau (Joshua Winquist, Max Novak), Skirving (Adam Phillips, Mike Vaskivuo)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (29/33)
Greenville: Dawson Leedahl , Sergey Zborovskiy (Ty Rimmer), Leedahl (Caleb Herbert, Joe Houk), Adam Chapie (Zborovskiy, Joe Basaraba)
Goaltender: Ty Rimmer (41/44)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Todd Skirving opened the scoring for Orlando with his first professional goal coming on the man advantage at 8:19 of the first period, knocking a rebound past Ty Rimmer. Skirving tallied an even-strength goal to make the score 3-0 at 1:47 of the second period. The rookie also led Orlando with six shots on goal.
- Nolan Valleau added power-play goal for his third of the season at 15:27 of the second period when he blasted a shot from blueline, beating Rimmer at the blocker side. The goal matches his previous career high of three set last season with the AHL’s Rockford IceHogs. Valleau (3g-5a) is now tied with Chris Crane (3g-5a) for the team lead in points.
- Joshua Winquist recorded the primary assist on Valleau’s goal, and now has a two-game assist streak.
- Max Novak earned a point for the third straight game with the secondary assist on Valleau’s goal – he has two goals and an assist over his last three games.
- Adam Phillips picked up his first point of the season with the primary helper on Skirving’s second goal.
- Cal Heeter took the overtime loss with 29 saves on 33 shots against.
- The Solar Bears take on the Florida Everblades in a Wawa Sunshine Cup Series match on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 1:30 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. The game is also a FAIRWINDS Solar Bears Sunday – FAIRWINDS members who present their FAIRWINDS debit or credit card at the Amway Center box office have the opportunity to score free tickets to the game. Click here for further details.
THREE STARS1) Adam Chapie – GRN2) Todd Skirving – ORL3) Nolan Valleau – ORL
Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
The Orlando Solar Bears are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL’s Toronto Marlies, and play all of their home games at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Full Season Ticket Memberships for the 2017-18 season are on sale now. Purchase an Orlando Solar Bears Full Season Ticket Membership for as little as $440 today! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased online at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.