JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Joshua Winquist broke a scoreless deadlock in the second period and Mackenzie Skapski made 22 saves as the Orlando Solar Bears (15-16-4-1) blanked the Jacksonville Icemen (9-18-3-2) by a 3-0 score on Saturday night at Veterans Memorial Arena.
Skapski’s shutout was the first of the season for Orlando, the first regular season shutout by a Solar Bears netminder since Ryan Massa earned a 3-0 win vs. Utah on March 10, 2017, and the first road shutout by an Orlando goalie since Rob Madore blanked Brampton in a 3-0 victory on March 13, 2016.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Joshua Winquist (Chris Crane, Sean Zimmerman), Martins Dzierkals (Chris LeBlanc), Crane [EN-SH]
Goaltender: Mackenzie Skapski (22/22)
Goaltender: Jamie Phillips (22/24)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Joshua Winquist netted his 14th of the season to open the scoring at 11:07 of the second period when he snapped a shot from the slot past Jamie Phillips off a forechecking effort from Chris Crane. Winquist’s goal was his third game-winner of the season, giving him the team lead.
- Martins Dzierkals netted his eighth of the season and his second goal in as many games at 10:38 of the third period to give the Solar Bears a much-needed two-goal cushion.
- Chris Crane enjoyed a two-point outing, setting up Winquist’s goal and burying a shorthanded empty-net marker at 18:13 of the third period for his sixth tally of the season.
- Sean Zimmerman picked up an assist on Winquist’s goal and dropped the gloves with Jacksonville’s Garet Hunt just 14 seconds into the contest.
- Chris LeBlanc earned the assist on Dzierkals’ goal.
- Mackenzie Skapski earned his fourth win of the season in his performance; the shutout was the sixth of his pro career and his first since Dec. 9, 2016, as a member of the Greenville Swamp Rabbits.
- The victory in regulation improved the Solar Bears to 5-1-1-0 against the Icemen this season, and guaranteed that Orlando will finish the season as the winner of the nine-game regular season series with Jacksonville.
- Orlando was forced to play the final 5:45 of regulation down a man after defenseman Sam Jardine was assessed a minor penalty for high-sticking, a major penalty for cross-checking and a game misconduct for cross-checking. Although Jacksonville pulled goaltender Jamie Phillips for an extra skater, the Solar Bears managed to preserve the shutout.
- Hunter Fejes led the Solar Bears with seven shots on goal.
- The Solar Bears return home on Sunday, Jan. 7 when they host the Icemen at 1:30 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. The game is a FAIRWINDS Solar Bears Sunday – FAIRWINDS Credit Union members can score free tickets to the game with their FAIRWINDS debit or credit card. CLICK HERE for more information. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Mackenzie Skapski – ORL
2) Martins Dzierkals – ORL
3) Joshua Winquist – ORL
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier “AA” hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Fighting Four Packs, presented by CenturyLink, are now available for purchase! Pick four games and get gift certificates to Sonny’s BBQ, Dick’s Sporting Goods, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the our Hockey Fights Cancer Night game, presented by XYMOPRINT on Saturday, Feb. 17! Packs start as low as $64 and include $68 in FREE gifts! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.