Orlando retains rights to 21 players
ORLANDO, Fla. – The Orlando Solar Bears have announced their 2017 ECHL Protected List this afternoon. The team has included 21 players on its protected list, including 12 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders.
Out of the club’s Protected List, Orlando has retained the rights to five players who will have veteran status for the 2017-18 season (Eric Baier, Taylor Doherty, Trevor Ludwig, Denver Manderson and Ethan Werek), and four rookies (Brian Christie, Mitch Gillam, Jeff King and Ryan Moore). ECHL teams will announce their season-ending roster on June 15, and can begin to sign players to contracts on June 16.
FORWARDS: Darik Angeli, Austin Block, Milos Bubela, Justin Buzzeo, Brian Christie (R), Chris Crane, Denver Manderson (V), Ryan Moore (R), Joe Perry, Spencer Pommells, Taylor Stefishen and Ethan Werek (V)
DEFENSEMEN: Eric Baier (V), Chris Bradley, Ben Danford, Taylor Doherty (V), Jeff King (R), Trevor Ludwig (V) and Spencer McAvoy
GOALTENDERS: Mitch Gillam (R) and Ryan Massa
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
- Signed an SPC in 2016-17 with the Member, and has not been traded or released, OR
- Signed an SPC in 2016-17, and was recalled to the NHL/AHL or IIHF team, and has not been traded or released, OR
- Had received a Qualifying Offer last summer for the current Season, DID NOT sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
- Has been suspended by the Member or League, and has not been traded or released, OR
- Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2016-17 Regular Season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
- Has executed the ECHL Retirement Form, and has not been traded or released.
Protected Lists may exceed 20 players.
The ECHL also announced that teams must complete all Future Consideration trades by 3 p.m. ET on June 13 and that teams must submit their Season-Ending Roster by 3 p.m. ET on June 15.
Season-ending rosters may include up to 20 players and cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2016-17.
The Orlando Solar Bears are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL’s Toronto Marlies, and play all of their home games at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Full Season Ticket Memberships for the 2017-18 season are on sale now. Purchase an Orlando Solar Bears Full Season Ticket Membership for as little as $440 today! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased online at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.