ORLANDO, Fla. – J.J. Piccinich scored in the second period, but the Orlando Solar Bears (20-21-5-1) surrendered their lead to the Florida Everblades (32-9-1-4) before falling by a 3-1 score in the ninth Wawa Sunshine Cup Series game of the season on Wednesday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
The Solar Bears remain in fourth place (46 points) in the South Division. Orlando remains seven points behind Atlanta for third place, with four games in hand; The Solar Bears are ahead of fifth-place Greenville by two points with one game in hand on the Swamp Rabbits.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: J.J. Piccinich (Joshua Winquist, Mike Monfredo)
Goaltender: Mackenzie Skapski (23/25)
Florida: Joe Cox (Mitchell Heard, Stephen MacAulay), Matt Berry (Justin Kea, Clark Seymour), Quentin Shore [EN]
Goaltender: Martin Ouellette (29/30)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- J.J. Piccinich tallied his 10th goal of the season at 6:18 of the second period when he snapped a shot past the glove of Martin Ouellette. Piccinich now has a two-game point streak (2g-2a).
- Joshua Winquist picked up the primary assist on Piccinich’s goal, and now has a two-game point streak (2g-1a).
- Mike Monfredo earned the secondary assist on Piccinich’s goal, and now has a two-game assist streak (4a).
- Mackenzie Skapski took the loss, making 23 saves on 25 shots against.
- Florida appeared to take an initial 1-0 lead in the second period when John McCarron had apparently scored just 1:27 into the frame; the goal was negated due to goaltender interference.
- Several players tied for the team lead for Orlando with three shots on goal.
- The Solar Bears welcome the Wheeling Nailers back to Orlando for the first time since the 2012-13 season on Friday, Feb. 9 at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center at 7 p.m. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Matt Berry – FLA
2) Martin Ouellette – FLA
3) Mackenzie Skapski – ORL
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier “AA” hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Fighting Four Packs, presented by CenturyLink, are now available for purchase! Pick four games and get gift certificates to Sonny’s BBQ, Dick’s Sporting Goods, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the our Hockey Fights Cancer Night game, presented by XYMOPRINT on Saturday, Feb. 17! Packs start as low as $64 and include $68 in FREE gifts! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.