ESTERO, Fla. – Despite a strong defensive outing in the first period, the Orlando Solar Bears (13-16-4-1) saw their battle with the Florida Everblades (23-5-1-2) slip away as the home team scored four straight on their way to dealing Orlando a 4-1 loss in the sixth Wawa Sunshine Cup Series game of the season on Wednesday night at Germain Arena.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Kristian Pospisil [PP] (Hunter Fejes, Jeff King)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (23/27)
Florida: Tyler Ganly (Justin Kea), Mitchell Heard [PP] (John McCarron, Clark Seymour), Michael Kirkpatrick (Stephen MacAulay, Matt Mackenzie), Joe Cox
Goaltender: Callum Booth (26/27)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Kristian Pospisil got Orlando on the board late in regulation with a power-play goal during a 5-on-3 man advantage. Pospisil’s goal came at 15:48 of the third period, and was his ninth of the season.
- Hunter Fejes assisted on Pospisil’s goal, picking up an assist in his Solar Bears debut after being acquired from the Wheeling Nailers earlier this week.
- Jeff King earned the secondary assist on Pospisil’s goal.
- Cal Heeter took the loss for Orlando, making 23 saves on 27 shots against.
- Joe Perry led the Solar Bears with four shots on goal.
- The Everblades now hold a 10-3 point advantage in the Wawa Sunshine Cup Series. Orlando faces the Everblades again on Saturday, Jan. 20 at home.
- The Solar Bears battle the Jacksonville Icemen to begin a three-game set against their in-state rival on Friday, Jan. 5 at 7:30 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Arena. Friday’s game will be broadcast on ESPN 580 Orlando. Orlando is back at home on Sunday, Jan. 7 when they host the Jacksonville Icemen at 1:30 p.m. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Callum Booth – FLA
2) Mitchell Heard – FLA
3) Tyler Ganly – FLA
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier “AA” hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Fighting Four Packs, presented by CenturyLink, are now available for purchase! Pick four games and get gift certificates to Sonny’s BBQ, Dick’s Sporting Goods, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the our Hockey Fights Cancer Night game, presented by XYMOPRINT on Saturday, Feb. 17! Packs start as low as $64 and include $68 in FREE gifts! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.