NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. – Martins Dzierkals scored the game-winning tally and added an assist as the Orlando Solar Bears (8-9-3-0) roared to a three-goal second period and doubled up the South Carolina Stingrays (10-4-2-1) in a 4-2 victory on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Kristian Pospisil (Tayler Thompson, Mike Monfredo), Darryl Bootland [PP] (Sam Jardine), Martins Dzierkals, Max Novak [EN] (Dzierkals)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (25/27)
South Carolina: Dylan Margonari (Joe Devin, Tyler Cammarata), Kelly Zajac [PP] (Frankie Simonelli, Andrew Cherniwchan)
Goaltender: Jeff Jakaitis (20/23)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Kristian Pospisil tied the score at 1-1 at 5:07 of the second period when he wristed a shot through the pads of Jeff Jakaitis for his fourth goal of the season.
- Tayler Thompson recorded the primary assist on Pospisil’s goal.
- Mike Monfredo added the secondary helper on Pospisil’s tally.
- Darryl Bootland deflected Sam Jardine’s point shot past Jakaitis at 17:21 of the second period for a power-play goal that tied the score at 2-2, and gave Bootland his first goal in a Solar Bears uniform.
- Martins Dzierkals scored his sixth goal of the season and his second in as many nights at 19:28 of the second period to give Orlando a 3-2 lead. The rookie stole the puck from a South Carolina defenseman as the Stingrays were attempting to exit their zone, and Dzierkals capitalized on the breakaway opportunity by beating Jakaitis with a backhand shot. Dzierkals also assisted on Max Novak’s empty-net goal in the third period.
- Max Novak added an empty-net tally at 19:02 of the third frame to cap the scoring at 4-2. The goal was his seventh of the season, giving him the team goal-scoring lead.
- Cal Heeter earned his fifth win of the season and his fifth straight victory in as many decisions, making 25 saves on 27 shots against.
- Orlando went 1-for-4 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
- Bootland, Matias Cleland and Jean Dupuy tied for the team lead with three shots on goal.
- Orlando improved its road record to 5-4-1-0 on the season.
- The Solar Bears continue their 10-game road trip on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 2:05 p.m. when they take on the Atlanta Gladiators at Infinite Energy Arena. The Solar Bears are back at home to face the Norfolk Admirals on Wednesday, Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Martins Dzierkals – ORL
2) Kelly Zajac – SC
3) Kristian Pospisil – ORL
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier “AA” hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Full Season Ticket Memberships for the 2017-18 season are on sale now. Purchase an Orlando Solar Bears Full Season Ticket Membership for as little as $440 today! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.