ORLANDO, Fla. – Martin Dzierkals tied the score with just 31.3 seconds left on the clock in regulation and scored in the shootout, while Cal Heeter provided clutch goaltending to help the Orlando Solar Bears (6-8-3-0) complete a weekend sweep of the South Carolina Stingrays (10-3-2-1) with a 3-2 shootout victory on Sunday afternoon at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Jean Dupuy (Kristian Pospisil), Martins Dzierkals (Dupuy, Joshua Winquist)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (30/32)
Shootout Goals: Dzierkals, Winquist
South Carolina: Andrew Cherniwchan (Tim McGauley), Taylor Cammarata (Dylan Margonari)
Goaltender: Carmine Guerriero (30/32)
Shootout Goals: McGauley
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Jean Dupuy got Orlando on the board at 3:55 into the third period when Kristian Pospisil fed Dupuy at the right circle, and the forward buried his fifth goal of the season past Carmine Guerriero. He also assisted on Dzierkals’ game-tying goal.
- Kristian Pospisil picked up his second assist in as many games with the feed on Dupuy’s goal.
- Martins Dzierkals tallied his fourth goal of the season in the final minute of regulation when Dupuy dished a pass from the left side of the net into the slot, allowing Dzierkals to even the score at 2-2 with Cal Heeter pulled for the extra skater.
- Joshua Winquist earned the secondary assist on Dzierkals’ goal and added the deciding tally in the third round of the shootout.
- Cal Heeter earned his fourth consecutive win by making 30 saves on 32 shots against in regulation and overtime, and then stopped two of three shots in the shootout.
- Dzierkals led Orlando with four shots on goal.
- C. Campagna nearly tied the game at the 14:12 mark of the third period, but the ruling of the good goal was reversed after the on-ice officials conferred with the goal judge.
- The Solar Bears capped the week with a 3-0-1-0 record, and earned wins in all three home games.
- Orlando has earned nine of a possible 10 points over its last five games. The Solar Bears now have a four-point cushion ahead of the Norfolk Admirals for fifth place in the South Division with two games in hand.
- The Solar Bears visit the Jacksonville Icemen on Tuesday, Nov. 28 at Veterans Memorial Arena to begin a 10-game road trip. The Solar Bears are back at home to face the Norfolk Admirals on Wednesday, Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Cal Heeter – ORL
2) Martins Dzierkals – ORL
3) Joshua Winquist – ORL
The Orlando Solar Bears are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL’s Toronto Marlies, and play all of their home games at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Full Season Ticket Memberships for the 2017-18 season are on sale now. Purchase an Orlando Solar Bears Full Season Ticket Membership for as little as $440 today! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased online at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.